Monday, June 24, 2024

Alix's letter to Queen Victoria for her 73rd birthday, dated May 22, 1892

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, pages 266 to 267, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Darmstadt
May 22nd 1892
My own darling Grandmama,
These lines are to bring You my most tender and heartfelt goodwishes for Your dear Birthday. I hope You will spend the day very happily and not think too much of the sad things this year has brought, Grandmama dear. I am so glad that we were able to spend that dear day to-gether last year, and my thoughts will now be so much with You.

May God bless and protect You, beloved Grandmama, and keep every sorrow from You, and give You good health and everything one can possibly wish.

I am writing on grey paper, as I felt a black edged letter for such a day would never do.

I hope You will like the chair I have worked for You. I thought it might perhaps do for one of the cottages or for sitting out in the garden. I have done another one exactly like it, only it was unluckily not finished in time, but I hope to be able to send it by next Messenger. I began working on it when I used to sit with dear Papa and then I went on with it once or twice during the time of his dreadful illness, when one was not allowed to be in the room, and wished to do something to keep one quiet — for these reasons I thought You might like to have it, and as he had seen me working at it.

I am so sorry to hear that nothing is yet green at Balmoral, here the woods and garden are perfectly lovely. We are probably going to lunch at Jugenheim to-day as it is so fine. Aunt Julie is still here, she intends only going when the great heat begins, I think.


Above: Alix.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment