Friday, June 21, 2024

Alix's letter the day after her eleventh birthday to Queen Victoria, dated June 7, 1883

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, pages 12 to 13, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Seeheim
June 7 1883
Darling Grandmama,
I thank you very much for Your kind letter and the pretty silver box. It is very nice here and the weather is fine. Yesterday we had a family dinner and I got many pretty presents. Herr Muther gave me a "cress-doll." It is a bottle with a doll's head and arms covered by a dress, he knitted himself and on which cress is sown. I water it often and the cress is growing quite big. We have brought all the dogs here and they bark dreadfully at night. Please give much love to Aunty and Ella from us all, and with many kisses I remain
Your dutiful, loving Grandchild
Alix


Above: Alix. Photo courtesy of TatianaZ on Flickr.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment