Friday, June 21, 2024

Alix's letter to Queen Victoria, written during her first time in Russia for the occasion of Ella's wedding, dated June 18, 1884

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, page 14, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Peterhof
June 18th 1884
Dearest Grandmama,
I was delighted with the beautiful presents and with Your dear letter — for all of which many, many thanks.

Please forgive the delay in answering. I have been much with little Xenia and her brothers, and only come to our rooms at bed-time, so Miss Jackson hopes You will kindly excuse me not writing sooner.

It is very pretty here, and I enjoy myself very much. Ernie has gone this morning with the other cousins (who held the crown at the wedding) to see dear Ella and Serge, and they all come here to-night for a Dance "Souterie" at the Oldenburg's.

I hope You liked what Irène and I painted. I am sorry I was unable to do any nice work, but at Xmas I hope to be more successful.
With many kisses and much love to dear Auntie, I am
Dearest Grandmama, Your most loving and grateful Grand-child
Alix


Above: Alix with her sisters Irène, Victoria and Ella.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment