Saturday, June 22, 2024

Alix's letter to Queen Victoria, dated October 12, 1889

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, pages 98 to 99, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Schloss Darmstadt
October 12th 1889
My darling Grandmama,
I cannot thank You enough for Your very dear and kind letter, which gave me such immense pleasure.

We were so glad to hear that the Performance went off so well, I only wish we could have been there to see it. It was so kind of You asking Miss Chipps to write and she gave such a good description, she told me also that Lady Borthwick did not wish to bring her daughter, it is really too bad of her.

How very tiresome for Louis spraining his ankle just when he came for such a short visit.

The Children here are all great dears, Irène's little Boy has grown so much, and is such a plump, rosy and lively little fellow. Alice's baby sister has also grown, and is such a sweet, with such a dear little face, but I must say I do miss Drino and Ena's lively chattering.

The weather is very pleasant and warm and the sun shines brightly. I am afraid I must say Goodbye now, as my drawing master is coming.

With much love to dear Aunty and Liko, and kissing your dear hand most fondly, I am, Beloved Grandmama,
Ever Your most loving and dutiful Child
Alix


Above: Alix.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment