Saturday, June 22, 2024

Alix's letter two days after her seventeenth birthday to Queen Victoria, dated June 8, 1889

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, page 76, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

June 8th 1889
Dearest Grandmama
I cannot thank you enough for your dear and kind letter and for the lovely present. It will be most useful and I shall wear it for large dinners and think then always of the best and dearest of Grandmamas, who always knows how to make people happy.

It is too kind of your asking me to come to you and I should be only too glad to do so, when Papa is away.

Dear Ernie came here for my birthday and will stay about ten days. It is so nice having him again, one did miss him so much before...
I remain, ever your most loving and grateful child
Alix


Above: Alix.


Above: Ernie.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment