Saturday, June 22, 2024

Alix's letter to Queen Victoria, dated December 25, 1888

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, pages 36 to 37, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Darmstadt
Xmas Day
Dearest Grandmama,
I was delighted with all the lovely Presents and send You my most loving thanks for them.

I wore my fur this morning at Church and it looked very pretty.

It was so very kind of You, dear Grandmama to give me that nice Shakespeare, which I shall prize immensely.

Irène is looking well, and it makes Xmas all the merrier to have her with us.

Hoping that You have spent a pleasant Xmas, and that the New Year will be a very happy one to You and dear Aunty, I remain Dearest Grandmama, Your most grateful and loving Child
Alix


Above: Alix.


Above: Queen Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment