Saturday, June 22, 2024

Alix's letter to Queen Victoria, dated March 29, 1888

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 1: Princess of Hesse, 1872-1893, pages 23 to 24, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

Darmstadt
March 29th 1888
Dearest Grandmama,
I was quite enchanted with Your beautiful Presents and thank You for them many times. The Prayer Book will be a dear remembrance of the Day and I shall always value it very much. The Brooch is lovely and I shall wear it on great occasions.

We all missed You so much and wished You and dear Aunty had been here.

The weather is rainy now, but yesterday was lovely. We did not forget that the 28th was a sad anniversary for everyone that knew and loved dead Uncle Leopold.
With my tenderest thanks, I am,
Dearest Grandmama, Your most loving and grateful Child
Alix


Above: Alix.


Above: Queen Victoria with her page Arthur Ponsonby.

No comments:

Post a Comment