Sunday, July 7, 2024

Alix's letter to Nicholas, dated May 21 (New Style), 1894

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 2: Engagement and Marriage, 1894, pages 70 to 71, by George Hawkins, 2023

The letter:

No. 21
Cumberland Lodge
May 21st 1894
My own beloved Ники dear,
A good loving kiss and tenderest thanks for no. 14 wh. I got this morning. Poor creature, you are being roasted whilst we are frozen here. I am sitting in Thora's room and she is working a waistcoat for the stableboy. I never told you about Faust which was given at Windsor on Saturday. It was to be over at 12, but was very much later wh. upset Granny that it went on into the Sunday.

Albani sang quite splendidly but the best of all was Plançon as Mephisto — he was grand — I never heard such a voice before. We sat during the whole performance without once getting up for a second, so that we got so stiff I thought I had grown to the chair.

I am so glad you saw Ella in St Petersburg. Poor creature with bad eyes, you know Uncle Alfred had it too when he arrived. So you have been to the Winter Palace to look at the rooms. What do you really think of them? It is sad you will have to leave your nice old ones. I dreamt of you all the other day, it was so funny.

Now the sun is shining gloriously after a shower and the birds are twittering away so lively, but it is cold. Sweet Love, I long for a kiss from you. It is so nice being here, so quiet and peaceful. I wish I were stopping here longer. Thora's room is so pretty and cozy.

I have received another present to-day, a little silver heart-shaped tray (ashtray) from one of Granny's Ladies whom I have known for ages. You must not be angry if this letter is very dull, but alas I have nothing of interest to tell you. Thora is perfectly ramolie from a cold. She is trying to learn Russian and will greet you with a Russian phrase when you arrive. Oh, what joy when that day approaches, I am counting the minutes till then. I fear we shall be very dull at Harrogate, but Schneiderlein must amuse us. Oh, my legs ache, I feel as tho' the bones were coming out through the flesh. I shall have to go and get ready for luncheon in a few minutes so my scrawl must come to an end. Goodbye my precious love and own sweet Darling. God bless you love.
Ever yr own true love, devoted for life,
Alix


Above: Nicholas and Alix.

Note: ramolie = exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment