Saturday, November 14, 2020

Alexandra's letter to Madgie Jackson, dated October 3, 1896

Source:

The Life and Tragedy of Alexandra Feodorovna by Baroness Sophie Buxhoeveden, 1928

The letter:

BALMORAL CASTLE,
October 3rd, 96.
DEAREST MADGIE, — Just before leaving, I hasten to send you a few words of loving thanks for your dear letter. Not knowing your Eastbourne address, I send this epistle to London. Tho' I did not write to you for the 20th, my thoughts and best wishes were with you. I hope my Harrogate and the beautiful Yorkshire air did you good! Here we have not had the finest weather. My husband has not shot one stag, only a brace of grouse.

It has been such a very short stay and I leave dear kind Grandmama with a heavy heart. Who knows when we may meet again and where? Now I have made the acquaintance of Lord Pembroke about whom and whose sisters you used to tell me. He is charming and very good-looking. I have good news from Irene but, alas, we shall not see her.

We had a good passage from Denmark. Next Saturday morning, God grant, we shall be at dear Darmstadt. Goodbye, Darling, and God bless you.
Yr. old P. Q. No. III,
ALIX.



Above: Alexandra. Photo courtesy of TatianaZ on Flickr.


Above: Alexandra with Nicholas, baby Olga, Queen Victoria and the future King Edward VII at Balmoral Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment