Thursday, October 15, 2020

Alexandra's letter to Olga, dated August 7, 1903

Source:

Alexandra Feodorovna: Diaries and Correspondence, volume 3: The Young Empress, 1895-1905, pages 178 to 179, by George Hawkins, 2024

Letters and writings of Nicholas II and his family on Facebook


The letter:

In the train near Pskov. Aug. 7 1903
Darling Olga,
I hope you will be able to read this letter. I am writing with my left hand which is most difficult. Yesterday evening whilst trying to climb over a barrier I fell off onto a wooden platform and tore the sinews of my right arm below the elbow perhaps a bit of the bone is fractured. The pain is very great especially when I make even the smallest movement. The night of course was bad. Kind Polyakov and Dr Hirsch have bandaged the arm, wrapped it in cotton-wool and card-board. They would not let me go to the manuvers [sic] to-day as they are afraid of the movement of the carriage [sic]. You can imagine how sad Mama felt when all the others left on horseback. Fantasca was waiting for me and Nolts too with my chestnuts. It is a grey day and rains off and on. About 200 steps off there are hussars, dragoons, and my dear lancers standing and lying about. Some are sleeping under their horses. I watch them with a fieldglass wh. is an amusing occupation. They are not the whole regiments. Some pass nearer to fetch water for their horses. I hear the artillery firing away and can see the smoke over the wood in the far distance. I do wish they would all come nearer. I will entreat Dr Kirsch to let me go to-morrow as its the last day, as even [illegible] quiet the arm aches tto. It was awfully painful and difficult dressing but Madelaine helped me very well. Yesterday after tea, A. Olga and I went still for a charming walk. We picked flowers, crossed over a pretty [illegible] a small hedge — lots of people followed us home, so that we got shy and very hot walking full speed to try and get away from them, but it did not succeed.

After dinner A. Olga and some of the gentlemen slid down the wooden stairs and sand embankment of a teatray — it was most funny to see.

Many thanks for your dear and nicely written letter. Papa and I thank Tatiana and Marie for their cards. Tell Sonia and Trina I wont [sic] write to them as it’s tiring writing more than one letter. You can give them all the news. I shall finish this letter. They all came back safely. Goodbye and God bless you Darlings. I kiss you all. Ever your loving old Mama

I send my love to Ania and Trina and I hope little Marie’s cold is better. It is raining. I am glad you had such a good mark for your music.


Above: Alexandra being helped out of a train car. Photo courtesy of the State Archive of the Russian Federation, I think via Ilya Grigoryev.


Above: Olga. Photo courtesy of Ilya Grigoryev at lastromanovs on VK.

No comments:

Post a Comment